When Walking or Jogging
- Avoid walking or jogging alone, and try not to walk or jog after dark.
- Avoid dark or vacant areas. Walk along well-lit routes.
- Be alert to your surroundings. If you suspect you are being followed: Run in a different direction, go to the other side of the street and yell for help, or move quickly to a lighted area, a group of people, or a blue light emergency phone.
- Have your keys ready when returning to your residence hall or apartment. Keep your personal or valuable items concealed and close to your body.
- Avoid wearing headphones when walking or jogging. Always be aware of your surroundings and practice risk avoidance techniques.
Oklahoma State University’s Safe Walk program provides enhanced safety on its Stillwater campus. The program uses trained student Public Service Officers or PSOs to accompany anyone from one campus location to another between the hours of 9 p.m. and 2 a.m.
To receive assistance through the Safe Walk program call 405-744-6523 and ask for a PSO to be dispatched to your location on campus. Safe Walk can also be accessed through OSU’s safety app.